en - [sympa-users] Menu Keyboard Navigation Broken

  • From: Youcef N Baouchi <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Menu Keyboard Navigation Broken
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 23:16:33 +0000

Hello,

Our university has an accessibility team that conducts testing on the various services that we run. Recently, we discovered that the gui of versions 6.2.x of sympa have a big issue that render them inaccessible, which is: keyboard only users cannot use the keyboard to access the drop down menus. Keyboard navigation is simply broken in this version of sympa as the menus do not expand unless you hover the mouse over them.

Luckily, this appears to be a fairly simple issue to fix. Our testing shows that upgrading the zurb’s foundations _javascript_ library that is used by sympa to the newest release of version 5 (5.5.3) solves the problem. Sympa 6.2.x appears to be using version 5.3.3; a version which was released in 2014.  The library’s location can be found here:  sympa-6.2.x/static_content/external/foundation.

I HOPE the sympa devs can upgrade the foundations library in the next dot release as zurb has added numerous features that will make sympa more accessible. This is especially important for us who are required by higher education institutions to provide services for our community that are accessible to everyone.

Also I should mention that version 6.2.x of sympa is FAR more accessible than 6.1.x. When we tested 6.1.x a year ago we came across 50+ issues that have for the  most part been addressed in 6.2.x. We’re so close to sympa being completely accessible.

I reported this bug to the bugtracker: [#10474]

Thanks,

Youcef

http://foundation.zurb.com/sites/download.html/