en - Re: [sympa-users] Custom email sent on create list request

  • From: Robert McNicholas <address@concealed>
  • To: Michael Howe <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Custom email sent on create list request
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 09:14:15 -0700

On 10/1/2015 4:19 AM, Michael Howe wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On 30/09/15 17:44, Steve Rich wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Currently, we have our ticketing system’s email address listed as a
>> listmaster to cheaply get list creation requests to open a ticket so
>> that the bean counter gods are appeased. This has the undesired effect
>> of opening a ticket every time a notice is sent to the listmasters
>> (sync_include failures, 100% subscriber bounce scenarios, web_internal
>> failures, etc).
>
> This sounds very familiar. I patched our version of sympa (Debian's
> 6.1.17) to add `list_request_notifications_to` and
> `error_notifications_to` config options. This allows list creation and
> renaming requests to be sent to our helpdesk and error messages to go to
> my team's tracking system. It also drops mails that would be sent to
> listmaster if there are no owners or they all have nomail set, because
> we decided that we didn't care about such messages.
>
> I attach the patch; I'm happy to submit it as a feature request if it
> seems like a useful feature. (Alternatively, if someone comes up with a
> cleaner solution, I'll happily adopt that on my system!) On re-reading,
> it's got some logic that may need to be tweaked for wider consumption.
> (I also have no idea how it will apply to 6.2; we haven't looked at 6.2
> yet.)

Hi folks,

YES! I would love it if this became a standard feature, as we have the
exact same problem -- we want requests from users that are sent to
listmaster@eecs to go into our ticketing system (RT), and auto-generated
Sympa email requests for new or renamed lists, but nothing else. Too
many sympa errors that don't really require any intervention were
opening tickets (most commonly, transient errors when building lists
from external data sources).

+1!

Thanks,

-Rob McNicholas
UC Berkeley
Dept of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences