en - Re: [sympa-users] crashing and stalling

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] crashing and stalling
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 11:46:36 +0900

Hi,

2015/09/06 10:47、Miles Fidelman <address@concealed> のメッセージ:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Maybe somebody can help me diagnose this:
>
> - our server went wonky the other day, starting with huge load spikes that
> I think came from a DDoS attack, but also might have been a new kind of
> spam jamming up our spam filter (lot of disk i/o from amavisd-new)
>
> - it backed up mail - lots of stuff just queued up, going nowhere
>
> - I have the load back under control, but....
>
> i) it seems like a lot of list traffic has stalled - some queues are pretty
> big (auth, msg), while there's nothing in the moderation or outgoing queues
>
> ii) sympa.pl seems to be running a heavy load, then it dies
>
> I'm wondering two things:
> i. Is Sympa choking on one particular message - and if so, how to figure
> out which one it is?
> ii. Is there a way to prompt Sympa to process it's queues (akin to a
> postfix flush)?

There are no way to flush queue. Instead, you can move the messages in msg/
directory to other place (such as new directory msg.backup/), put a small
part of them back into msg/ directory, check if they are delivered, and
repeat until all messages are delivered. This decreases disk load to read
large number of directory entries.

Also, to decrease CPU load and memory usage, you, if possible, can stop
unnecessary processes for a while: HTTPd and task_manager.pl can be stopped
(make sure to restart them when the system works normally).

To know what happened when Sympa crashes, system logs, and error outputs
saved under tmp/ queue directory can help.

Regards,

--- Soji