en - [sympa-users] Populating Subscriber metadata

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Populating Subscriber metadata
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 02:56:25 +0000

In other words, custom fields that you add to your list.

We can define any number of custom fields for list subscribers, which is very helpful for mailmerge.  We can even use these for a filtered list-external-datasource (so, include all members from list foo, where the custom field ‘bar’ contains ‘baz’) in 6.2 or in our patched 6.1.23.

We also submitted a patch to allow these values to be read/set via the SOAP API.

However, there is no way to SET these values when importing from an external datasource!

It would be very, very useful for us to be able to specify a list of attribute/custom_field pairs in LDAP datasources, or have an SQL datasource return email, fullname, custom_field1, cusomt_field2… to populate these.  Similarly, when using another list as a datasource, why not copy over customfields with the same name at the same time you copy over the email and displayname?

Has anyone done this before?  I could have a go at implementing it in Sympa 6.1.23 (this is what we currently run) but it seems to be more a 6.2-branch sort of thing (did populating displaynames via SQL and LDAP datasources make it into 6.2?)

If this is not in 6.2, I’d like to submit it as a Feature Request.

Steve

Steve Shipway

University of Auckland

UNIX Systems Design Team Lead

address@concealed

+64 (9) 3737 599 ext 86487

(GNU Terry Pratchett)

  • [sympa-users] Populating Subscriber metadata, Steve Shipway, 06/02/2015