en - [sympa-users] Starvation prevention limits?

  • From: Marcin Hoffmann <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Starvation prevention limits?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:14:07 +0100

Hi Sympa community,

We were having a scheduled maintenance for some time, my sympa server was off. When I put in online again it got a lot of messages from the client queues at once.

The situation I observed is that I have many, many messages in the spool/msg directory, which are being processed alphabetically by Sympa. The issue is: If I hava a list named ALIST with 10000 messages waiting, and BLIST with 100 messages anc CLIST with 10 messages waiting to be processed, the CLIST members will wait a really long time before they get any messages, as Sympa is processing ALIST messages one by one, until they run out and then start BLIST etc.

Wouldn't it be better, if Sympa was processing the files in spool/msg as it does now, but with a limit of 10 messages to be processed withing one list at once, then switch to the next filename?
That way it would
process 10 mails from ALIST, switch to BLIST
process 10 mails from the BLIST, switch to CLIST
process 10 mails from CLIST, go to ALIST

and so on...

Maybe such functionality is already there but I'm missing something. I haven't looked in the code yet, but I suspect it may be somewhere in the sympa.pl main script...

Regards,

Marcin Hoffmann