en - [sympa-users] Increasing the maximum listname length

  • From: Aaron Wyatt <address@concealed>
  • To: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Increasing the maximum listname length
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:03:08 -0500

Sympa 6.1.17
MySQL 5.1

Hello All-

Is it possible to safely increase the maximum listname length?

When I try to create a listname longer than 50 characters I see it gets compared against the $regexp{'listname'} regular _expression_ in tools.pm.  My knowledge of regular expressions is limited but it seems '[a-z0-9][a-z0-9\-\.\+_]{0,49}' is validating the length maximum of 50 characters.

I see in the database sympa.list_table contains name_list of type varchar(100).  This leads me to believe that I could edit the regular _expression_ to increase the maximum listname length.

Does anyone see any reason why this is a bad idea?  I am aware of email address RFC standards, I'm just looking for feedback in terms of Sympa.

Thanks,
aaron

Aaron Wyatt
Collaborative Services
Boston College IT Services
address@concealed
617.552.1278

  • [sympa-users] Increasing the maximum listname length, Aaron Wyatt, 12/19/2014