en - RE: [sympa-users] Message distribution fails because MySQL server has gone away

  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Message distribution fails because MySQL server has gone away
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 20:48:18 +0000

> I've had a couple of issues lately of message distribution failing with the
> error
> "MySQL server has gone away". The first was with a daily digest, and the
> most recent this afternoon with an ordinary message. It also looks as if the
> attempt to tell the original sender of the failure may itself have failed.

This ( 'mysql has gone away' ) happens when the connection is prematurely
disconnected. There are a number of configuration and timeouts that might
cause this.

First, check your max_allowed_packet size in the my.cnf. Set it nice and big
, maybe max_allowed_packet = 50000000. Large messages can cause problems
like this.

Now check for intervening firewalls with low session timeouts. If there are
any firewalls (including host-based) between sympa and mysql, make sure they
don’t have small session timeouts causing inactive sessions to be prematurely
disconnected.

Set wait_timeout in my.cnf to something suitably large, such as 180 or even
more. Also, connect_timeout can be set to 10 or so.

Set log_slow_queries and check that you aren’t getting queries with an
unreasonable executation time -- this would indicate problems with missing
indices, or insufficient memory given to the mysql buffer sizes. If this is
the case, increase {read|join|sort}_buffer_size , and make sure you have
query_cache_size set high enough.

This should help out the issue.

Steve

Steve Shipway