en - RE: [sympa-users] sympa issues

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Michael Kuriger <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] sympa issues
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 19:59:44 +0000

Are you able to post the error message here?  Have you checked in your web server and sympa logs to see if there is any  relevant error message that can be posted to give us some idea?  Check database logs, slow query logs, sympa logs, and general logs as well as web server error logs.

There is a known issue that happens for list searches in the web interface when you have a very large number of lists (though the latest Sympa versions - 6.1.19 and later I think -  include the Riseup code which mitigates this).   Very large numbers of lists (many thousands) can result in timeouts while performing searches.

If the problem is a database search timeout, then you should check into --

1. Increase the FCGI timeouts as defined in your apache conf
2. Do tuning to ensure enough memory is given to your database instance, so that it may perform in-memory index searches
3. Check the database slow query logs - possibly an index is missing and needs to be reinstated
4. Upgrade to a more recent Sympa, so that it makes proper use of the searches
5. Check for resource exhaustion on your Sympa server - does it have enough CPU and memory available for the number of messages and throughput it is experiencing?  Check for filesystem space for temporary work files and database growth.
6. Maybe re-create the list table in the database (use the sympa.pl command with appropriate options), and if necessary, perform any database health checks andtests to check for and remove any corruption that may have been introduced.

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead