en - [sympa-users] Question about scalability of 6.x.x

  • From: Steve Rich <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Question about scalability of 6.x.x
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 20:24:38 +0000

Greetings,

We are currently running Sympa 5.4 at Duke University and I have been tasked with upgrading to the next major release, most likely 6.1.20.  I have heard from a variety of sources that the database message spooling paradigm does not scale well at all and that the 6.2 release will move back to filesystem message spooling.  My question to the Sympa-Users community is one concerning architecture.

We currently have 5.4 running on one VM with 2 cores and 4GB of RAM.  This machine hosts 8,224 lists  with 830,895 total subscribers (386,845 unique).  At this time, I can not speak to the activity of those lists and subscribers.  We're working to get relevant message delivery rates at this time but don't have them yet.

Has anyone on this list had success with Sympa 6.1.x at this scale?  If so, what does your Sympa architecture look like?  What unique challenges did the upgrade present and how did you overcome them.

Thanks,
Steve Rich

IT Analyst
Enterprise Internet Services