en - RE: [sympa-users] Preventing dupes, or better, safeguarding from users... ;-)))

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Marco Gaiarin <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Preventing dupes, or better, safeguarding from users... ;-)))
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 20:40:31 +0000

So -- take an MD5 sum of the incoming message (minus headers and whitespace),
and then reject if it matches an existing MD5 sum (for just that list?) in
the last X minutes/days.

This seems an interesting idea, though I'd probably use a table in the
database to hold the checksums, and have some periodic pruning job to kill
off expired ones.

I think the best way to implement this would be via a custom send scenario
with a custom test function. The test function could take care of computing
the MD5, and adding it to the database if necessary. The benefit of using a
custom scenario check function is that it doesnt require modification of the
main Sympa code, just a new module in the Perl library.

I started to use a similar way to implement a posting-rate-limiting custom
scenario test, though I never finished it.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead