en - RE: [sympa-users] Sympa outgoing queue draining too slowly

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Sympa outgoing queue draining too slowly
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:59:13 +0000

Matt, thanks for the really detailed performance tuning info. We run on a
large VM under VMware, which has some fast SAN disk behind. We also have a
highly tuned MySQL database which holds most of the data in memory or cache
which has a very big effect on speed of the web interface.

Etienne's email indicates that I've apparently misunderstood the purpose of
the 'outgoing' queue -- it is in fact the queue for the *archive* process
(single threaded), which explains why it is running so slowly, and is not a
big issue after all. The queues I should be monitoring as 'msg' (incoming
commands) and 'distribute' (incoming messages) as outgoing are kept only in
the database. The big backlogs are when an automated process floods the
developer notification lists with messages, which still get archived for a
month, and we can live with this.

Steve

Steve Shipway
address@concealed