en - Re: [sympa-users] how do i silently remove an owner?

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] how do i silently remove an owner?
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 17:13:52 +0100

Le 08/11/13 17:04, Ed C. a écrit :
address@concealed">

Hi Andrew,

Le 08/11/13 06:25, Andrew Engelbrecht a écrit :
as an 'owner' of a mailing list, how do i silently remove another list
owner?
If you are an 'owner' and the persona non grata is an owner, then it
seems that you are in danger of being removed by him/her.
Can a privileged owner remove a non-privileged owner?
Yes. the opposite is not true.
address@concealed">

i tried:

QUIET DELETE list-name user@domain
QUIT
but that seems to be for unsubscribing someone. i know it sounds like an
illegitimate question, but i've removed this owner before (they were
aware of that), then unwisely re-added them later. non-silent removal
would likely stir up old conflicts in the group.
The question is whether openness is more important than avoidance of
conflict. The problem is that all mailing list programs are designed
more as huge bulletin boards rather than as forums for disscussion
groups. Even LISTSERV doesn't support member governed lists. Such
(non-moderated) lists would require some mechanism for voting,
fine-grained suppression of posting by single members vis-a-vis other
ordinary members. How this would be accomplished I don't know, maybe by
an array of bitfields which would enable a listmember to designate
somehow the other members that he/she doesn't wish to hear from.
You're raising the challenge to a new level, here...
Acutally, in Sympa, you can have a member governed list. All you have to do is grant, through authorization mechanisms (and edit_list.conf), the same privileges to list members as to list owners.
Some actions are still reserved to list owners, but you can work this around by a datasource that includes the list members as list owners.

And once this is done, i think you created anarchy, but that's a different matter. We don't have the voting mechanisms you suggested.
address@concealed">

the only no silent removal you can get is by editing the list config file.
through the web interface, the owner will be warned.
If both owners can edit the list config file then it seems like a third
owner is needed to break the tie.
Or edit the list config by asking the listmaster.
I had the occasion, as listmaster to have to conciliate waring parties sometimes. Interesting part of the job... I never imagined myself as peacemaker. ;-)
address@concealed">

regards,

David
thanks,
-andrew

--
Ed

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Études et projets applicatifs

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21