en - RE: [sympa-users] Allow posting to list based on S/MIME signature properties?

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Dick Visser <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Allow posting to list based on S/MIME signature properties?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 08:22:26 +0000

This is one part of certificates under Sympa that I've managed to get working
correctly on our system.

You can add the approved signing certificates to the CA used by Sympa; this
way, you can make sure that only approved S/MIME certificates are allowed.

The normal posting scenari apply; the S/MIME certificate CN is used to get
the signing email address, and this is used against the posting scenario,
looking at the 'smime' rules. So, you can easily match against $sender with
an smime rule to get what you want.

I've successfully managed to get our S/MIME signed messages to be approved
for posting to moderated lists, and added the AusCERT signing certs to the
Sympa CA. Since our S/MIME certs have the email address in the CN then we
can simply use the is_subscriber functions etc. for the scenari rules.

The S/MIME support does seem to have a few glitches - it's not compatible
with mailmerge, it seems to have issues with opaque-signed messages, and so
on - but for authorisation it works fine.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead