en - [sympa-users] Apache HTTP authentication

  • From: Ivan Voras <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Apache HTTP authentication
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 19:17:44 +0200

Hello,

I have a robust authentication system configured with Apache which in
which the web applications run over HTTPS and Apache performs HTTP
"basic" authentication.

Can Sympa be configured to accept HTTP authentication performed by the
web server, in such a way that basic information (such as mailing list
archives) remain visible to the public without authentication, and
other actions such as subscription management are performed with
authentication?

For example, I'm using this type of authentication with Trac, where
the Apache configuration looks like:

<Location /trac/login>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "My web application"

Require valid-user
AuthBasicProvider external
AuthExternal mypw

Satisfy all
</Location>

... which means that all URLs except /trac/login will be handled
normally without authentication and /trac/login will be authenticated,
with Trac keeping track of authentication via a cookie.

I haven't found something like that in the Sympa documentation (maybe
I missed it).

  • [sympa-users] Apache HTTP authentication, Ivan Voras, 05/28/2012