en - [sympa-users] Errors on starting system

  • From: Russ Kepler <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Errors on starting system
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 08:39:31 -0700

I've migrated a small Sympa install to kubuntu running a 3.0.0 kernel and
Sympa 6.1.4. Things seem to be running smoothly enough but one issue is that
on boot the Sympa startup is generating a lot of errors. I'm getting about 6
each of:

<<
No Database:
Cannot connect to database sympa, still trying...

<<
Listmaster / logs_failed:
no connection to syslog available
- unix dgram connect: Connection refused at /usr/share/sympa/lib/
Log.pm line 162

I suspect that it's because the startup isn't checking for mysql and syslogd
running. But the init does have this:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: sympa
# Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog
# Required-Stop: $remote_fs $syslog
# Should-Start: mysql postgresql
# Should-Stop: mysql postgresql

so I shouldn't be seeing the syslog complaints (I don't think) but maybe the
mysql? Should I move the mysql dependency to the required start and stop?

I realize that this isn't properly a Sympa issue but am hoping that someone
has solved this before.

  • [sympa-users] Errors on starting system, Russ Kepler, 03/01/2012