en - [sympa-users] RE: Are separate IPs desirable for the MTA and web interface ?

  • From: Malcolm Waltz <address@concealed>
  • To: "'John Gibson'" <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] RE: Are separate IPs desirable for the MTA and web interface ?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 20:23:23 +0000

Hi John,

Personally, I would recommend always having an MTA on the same server as Sympa (or mailman, or whatever).  It will be much easier to integrate features of the MTA with Sympa (aliases, etc).  If your Sympa server looses network connectivity, it's not as big a problem because messages will just queue locally.  With a local MTA, you have more control on how messages come and go from the server.  I would think that troubleshooting would be easier and there could be a performance advantage (potentially) by using a local MTA.

You can always choose to route mail through another MTA for inbound mail, outbound mail or both.  In our environment, Sympa is configured to use a local MTA (postfix), but that MTA only communicates with our SMTP gateways.  All inbound and all outbound mail is routed through our gateways, which are also our SPAM filters.

Good luck,

Malcolm Waltz

Unix Systems Administrator III

Office of Information Technology