en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa scalability patches?

  • From: micah anderson <address@concealed>
  • To: Christian Dahlhausen <address@concealed>, Roy Bixler <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa scalability patches?
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 10:23:33 -0500

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 14:33:12 -0500, Christian Dahlhausen <address@concealed>
wrote:
> Roy,
>
> we run about 16000 lists here at UVa on Sympa 5.4.3 and needless to say the
> web interface is pretty slow. As you mentioned this is because the wwsympa
> cgi crawls through every list config multiple times. I did have a test
> machine (6.1.4) where I added some of the riseup.net patches and got to
> good results. Of course that hasn't made it to production so I don't really
> know how good that works but it seemed promising. I am in the process of
> upgrading to the latest 6.1.7 version right now and will try again to
> implement the riseup patch in the new server and run some tests before it
> might make production. I am aware that deviating from the standard code
> might bite me in the next iteration of an upgrade but our users are moaning
> too much about the sluggishness of the web interface.

As a point of reference, Riseup has approximately the same number of
lists as you do, and performance with the patches is good. The crawling
the list configs multiple times was absolutely one of the main issues.

Its true that deviating from upstream standard code makes things more
difficult for upgrades, reducing those deltas is paramount for
sanity. However, the patchset that we have, we have forward ported for 6
different releases now, its not too difficult of work, and if you are
also using them, maybe we can both benefit from each other's efforts
here. So, if you do manage to port the patch to 6.1.7, please let us
know so we can include your port in the set we are maintaining in our it
repository!

micah