en - [sympa-users] expanding the SOAP interface -- contract help?

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] expanding the SOAP interface -- contract help?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 14:37:53 -0700

We're experiencing a new wave of interest from clients in using an API to connect to Sympa from other applications, so we're looking more and more at the SOAP server. And it seems like each new client has one new specific need that the SOAP API doesn't meet, which isn't very surprising since the number of functions in the SOAP interface is fairly limited. We have been able to hack up one or two new SOAP functions on our own, already submitted to Sympa for future inclusion, but more complicated requirements are beyond our capabilities.

So we're looking for help. One source would be the Sympa team: would it be possible for us to sponsor some focused work on the SOAP interface, to benefit all users and Sympa's global appeal as well as our own clients? There is money available, although I know that with Sympa development happening in a higher education environment, there may be practical challenges in arranging for such sponsorship. David, Olivier, and Serge, please let me know.

Another source would be other experienced Sympa implementers and hackers on this list. If any of you are interested in a short-term and well-defined contract job to work on the Sympa SOAP interface (or at least an EE version of it), please get in touch. Specifically, our immediate need involves adding the ability to view and change list configuration settings (including moderators), and possibly perform message moderation, via SOAP.

Thanks for reading!

adam
worker-owner, electric embers cooperative inc.

  • [sympa-users] expanding the SOAP interface -- contract help?, Adam Bernstein, 07/14/2011