en - [sympa-users] what does spam_protection protect?

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] what does spam_protection protect?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:02:25 -0700

Question for the team: What exactly is covered by the spam_protection mechanism in Sympa (we're running 6.4)? I ask because we're noticing an increasing frequency of spam coming in addressed to listname, listname-subscribe, and listname-unsubscribe addresses, and in looking over all the templates, it seems to me the protection doesn't apply in many places.

For instance, it doesn't appear at all (eg. there's no occurrence of "hidden_at") in list_menu.tt2, where the -subscribe and -unsubscribe addresses are published, which is resulting in many unwanted "Dear list owner, this user tried to unsubscribe but isn't found in your list..." notices. This seems like an oversight, but then I don't even find it in the subscriber_table.tt2 (in case a list owner makes the subscriber list publicly visible, which would be a strange choice but entirely possible).

It looks to me like the only things it ever protects are the list address itself (in many templates) and the Contact Owners link in list_panel.tt2. If that's correct, I would certainly request expanding the spam protection to, essentially, anywhere that any email address appears in all of WWSympa. But I wonder if I'm just looking at it wrong.

Thanks much for your help!

adam