en - Re: [sympa-users] Misleading documentation on aliases

  • From: Paul Menzel <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Misleading documentation on aliases
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 00:26:47 +0200

Am Freitag, den 15.04.2011, 17:27 +0300 schrieb Mail Administrator, Otto J.
Makela:
> As I'm not terribly familiar with Postfix (or Sympa), it took me a while to
> figure out what was wrong with the instructions given on the page:
> http://www.sympa.org/manual/mail-aliases#alias_manager
>
> It doesn't tell you two rather important things:
>
> 1) By default, the value in Constants.pm for SENDMAIL_ALIASES (which
> specifies
> the alias file) is /etc/mail/sympa_aliases which you can override in
> sympa.conf with sendmail_aliases, but by default none is set and the setup
> wizard doesn't ask about it. So the instructions tell you to edit into the
> file a value different from what Sympa uses by default.

I did not get the problem. What should be changed?

> 2) alias_manager.pl indeed does run newaliases, but the Postfix newaliases
> does NOT rebuild the databases given in its configuration setting
> alias_maps,
> but only the ones given in alias_database. So, again, the value suggested in
> the documentation is not what Postfix by default uses.
>
> One way to fix these is to add the following line to /etc/sympa.conf:
> sendmail_aliases /home/sympa/etc/sympa_aliases
> and the following line to /etc/postfix/main.cf:
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/home/sympa/etc/sympa_aliases

Is changing

alias_maps =
hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/home/sympa/etc/sympa_aliases

to the following also acceptable?

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/etc/sympa_aliases

> Who could correct this somewhat misleading documentation?

It is a Wiki so you can register and edit it yourself. I do not know if
subscribers of sympa-users can automatically edit this page.

Thanks,

Paul