en - [sympa-users] SSL option, and wwsympa_url

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] SSL option, and wwsympa_url
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:13:13 -0800

Is anybody else running WWSympa with both an http:// option and an https:// option? It works just fine, with both served from the same configuration (though two different wwsympa.fcgi processes start up to serve the two protocols), but we have a minor detail that I can't figure out.

We were able to eliminate warnings about "some elements of this page are not encrypted" by changing the css_url; when that setting was specified as a full URL (http://lists.domain.tld/lists), obviously it was always loaded without SSL, even when the user accessed the page via https, resulting in the warning. But happily, we found that setting it simply to /lists works fine. Now the CSS is loaded via http if that's your connection method, or by https if that's your connection method. But a similar solution does not work for the wwsympa_url setting.

If wwsympa_url is set simply to /lists, the links that Sympa sends out in emails will contain only that address, no full URL, so they're broken. If it's set to http:... and you have an existing https: connection open, and you receive one of these emails and click the link, you get a new page with http: and you have to login again, because it's a "different" site. I suspect we're just trying to do something Sympa can't do (yet?), but I thought I'd ask if there's a solution I'm not seeing.

If not, I will have to try to modify WWSympa to fill in the base URL if the wwsympa_url setting doesn't contain a protocol specification....

Thanks!
adam