en - Re: [sympa-users] all kinds of installation problems w/ perl modules

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] all kinds of installation problems w/ perl modules
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 22:44:07 -0400

Well... found work-arounds, but still....

For those who might find it useful:

- getting XML::LibXML to build required "apt-get install zlib1g zlib1g-dev" - not sure why, but XML::LibXML looks to libxml2 for libz, and between cpan and the debian packaging, the dependencies aren't set up right - apparently a long-standing bug, with lots of bug reports and verbiage, but it took a lot of googling to find the actual solution - if zlib isn't installed, everything breaks, and doesn't tell you why

- for the other perl modules, I ended up having to build a bunch manually - I let cpan download them and tell me that the builds failed, cd.d into ~/.cpan/build/<module> - and did the standard perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install - and found a lot of dependencies that didn't get resolved by a cpan install - the funny thing is that for each message about a missing dependency, I could use cpan to install the missing module, and then had to go back and manually complete the builds of the problematic modules

- all in all, seems like it was a lot more work than last time around

Miles Fidelman

Miles Fidelman wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to install Sympa 6.0.1 on a new machine (Depian Lenny, new install, on top of a xen kernel) - and I'm getting all kinds of errors in getting the required perl modules installed.

First off, there are several modules which sympa-wizard.pl --check says are not installed, but I've installed them manually with cpan, and the wizard still doesn't find them.

Then there's XML::LibXML - which I just can't get to build - via cpan, or by manually running perl Makefile.pl, etc. It can't seem to find one of the required libraries, even though libxml2 is installed (I've tried both the Debian package and manually building it).

The funny thing is that, on another Debian Lenny machine - that's a little older - the modules are there, and an upgrade for Sympa 5.4.2 to 6.0.1 went (sort of) smoothly. (I'm trying to migrate from the older machine to the newer one and now I'm stuck.)

Am I the only one running into this, or has anybody else out there run into similar problems? And if so, how did you work through them?

Alternatively, any suggestions on how to role back to version 5 (I did save the database) - what else has to be restored?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra