en - Re: [sympa-users] Split a thread, promote a sub thread

  • From: Paul Menzel <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Split a thread, promote a sub thread
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:21:27 +0100

Dear Benno,

Am Dienstag, den 19.01.2010, 11:59 +0100 schrieb Benno Richters:
> Is there a possibility to split a thread / promote a sub thread to a
> main one?
>
> One of our users replied to a message and changed the subject.
> Erroneously believing this would start a new thread. People replied to
> that message as well. Can this be fixed?

as far as I know there is no way for the messages in the inboxes of the
subscribers since this information is encoded in the »References« and
»In-reply-to« header [1] and you do not have any access to this messages
anymore.

In the Sympa archive you could manually edit the corresponding message,
so that the archive built by MHonArc [2] gets the threads corrected. But
I would not advise this.

So there is just to educate the users about the netiquette and the rules
that this does not happen next time. Especially since this behavior
(replying to a message and changing the subject because of laziness or
bad usability of certain mail programs/web interfaces to send a new
message) is also a big no-no in normal email-communication and put big
stress on people where their MUA normally eases their live by supporting
threading.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://cr.yp.to/immhf/thread.html