en - Re: [sympa-users] resource usage of different Sympa versions, especially

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Paul Menzel <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] resource usage of different Sympa versions, especially
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:25:17 +0200

Hi Paul,

Well, we did some improvements on the memory usage of Sympa for the 5.4 version. Mainly on the web interface.
Sympa 6 should not be a major improvement about it. we did not change the code with that issue in mind. We were more focused on performances than on memory usage. though they can be linked.

Sympa 6 can be an improvment, depending on how your previous install of Sympa was configured. Here's how:

There is a new daemon called bulk.pl which a small script devoted only to message sending. As the messages to be sent are now stored in the database, this daemon can be on any machine, provided it can access the database and the Sympa donfig file.
On previous versions of Suympa, you could fork Sympa into two processes : one received the message, evaluated scenarii and sent service messages; the other one was only sending messages it found in the "distribute" spool. This second instance of Sympa will vanish with the Sympa 6 version.
Shortly, then, all the Sympa processes used to send messages can be moved to another machine, if you like. We still use as much memory as before, but you can split it on several machines.

And that's about it, regarding memory. I never heard of comparison between version but that would be interesting to read. so if you find one, please let me know.

Regards,

David

Paul Menzel a écrit :
Dear everyone,

do you know of a comparisons of resource usage of different Sympa
versions or did you do some measurements yourself? I am most interested
in the memory usage.

Does the new Sympa 6.0 (Beta) improve on memory usage?

Thanks,

Paul

--
David Verdin