en - Re: [sympa-users] notification on distribution completion

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Francis Lachapelle <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] notification on distribution completion
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 11:54:38 +0100

Francis Lachapelle wrote: Hi

I noticed that when I set "distribution_mode" to "fork", I no longer receive a notification when a message distribution completes (ie, when all messages have been transferred to the outgoing MTA). With the default value ("single"), Sympa properly calls "report::notice_report_msg('message_distributed' ...)".

Is it a bug or a limitation of the current architecture? It's a bug.
This feature is quite useful, especially when the list contains tens of thousands of subscribers ..

I agree that this feature is useful now. In version 6.0 it will be difficult to restore this feature. That's because we adopt a new architecture which is described here :  http://www.sympa.org/dev/server_architecture_for_big_services#in_the_future

The smtp brodcasting is performed by multiple parallel demon named bulk.pl . This demon is deseigned to be as simple as possible and it does not known anything about lists. It's just a so simple task that submit to SMTP messages. This demon does not identify messages for a list but just messages for a set of emails. They can't notify the end of a distribution

The good news is that this information is not anymore interresting ! In version 5 we experiment list up to 800.000 subscribers and I think it is the upper limit with version 5 architecture. Sympa version 6 distribution process can do better because :
  • it can start the distribution of a new message for a hight priority list before a huge distribution is finished.
  • can be stopped during the distribution process and restarted without duplicated messages, a
  • perform messages in parallel and run on a clusters

This architecture is already running on our server. It will be available for beta testers soon.

Serge Aumont