en - Re: [sympa-users] Reply-to not using virtual host domain

  • From: address@concealed (Eric Schnoebelen)
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Reply-to not using virtual host domain
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:24:52 -0500

Liam Kirsher writes:
- Maybe my problem has something to do with my sendmail setup. (When it
- was on the previous installation I was using Postfix, which did not have
- this problem.)
- Perhaps one of the following is causing the problem? Any ideas -- how
- does this compare to your sendmail setup?
- The Errors-to field is what is being set to nautilus.numenet.com instead
- of one of the lists.* virtual domains.

I don't think the configuration you've listed below does what
you think.

So, first off, what do you think it does, and what do you want
it to do?

- dnl # The following example makes mail from this host and any additional
- dnl # specified domains appear to be sent from mydomain.com
- dnl #
- MASQUERADE_AS(`nautilus.numenet.com')
- dnl #
- dnl # masquerade not just the headers, but the envelope as well
- dnl #
- FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
- dnl #
- dnl # masquerade not just @mydomainalias.com, but @*.mydomainalias.com
- as well
- dnl #
- dnl FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
- dnl #
- dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl
- dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl
- dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(nautilus.numenet.com)dnl
- dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(nautilus.numenet.lan)dnl
- dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(lists.beatstream.net)dnl
- dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(lists.freespeechnow.org)dnl
- dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(lists.brilliantswarm.net)dnl
- dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(lists.stevebrownonboard.org)dnl
- dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(lists.mpjc.org)dnl

Now, to answer what this does: it converts all of the (theoretically
internal) domains (localhost, localhost.localdomain, nautilus.numenet.com,
natulius.numenet.lan, lists.beatstream.net, lists.billiantswarm.net,
lists.stevebrownonboard.org and lists.mpjc.org) into natutilus.numenet.com.

The relevant portions of the sendmail.cf README file:

masquerade_entire_domain
If masquerading is enabled (using MASQUERADE_AS)
and MASQUERADE_DOMAIN (see below) is set, this
feature will cause addresses to be rewritten such
that the masquerading domains are actually entire
domains to be hidden. All hosts within the
masquerading domains will be rewritten to the
masquerade name (used in MASQUERADE_AS). For
example, if you have:

MASQUERADE_AS(`masq.com')
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`foo.org')
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`bar.com')

then *foo.org and *bar.com are converted to masq.com.
Without this feature, only foo.org and bar.com are
masqueraded.

NOTE: only domains within your jurisdiction and
current hierarchy should be masqueraded using this.

--
Eric Schnoebelen address@concealed http://www.cirr.com
Users - the biological test suites.