en - Re: [sympa-users] Handling out/of/office replies to list

  • From: Steven Peterson <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Handling out/of/office replies to list
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:32:16 -0500

Mark K wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:38:59 +0100
Steven Peterson <address@concealed> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

The holiday season is highlighting a problem we need to solve -- what
is the best way to prevent out-of-office autoreplies from being sent
to the list? Does Sympa have a way to do this?  Should we configure
Postfix to swallow these messages?  What is the best practice?

- Steve Peterson

The best way is for an out of office replier to be smart enough to not
reply to an email with a "Precedence: list" header.  Unfortunately,
Outlook's OOO assistant is not that smart.

I think the other option is to create a custom send scenario that would
catch OOO replies somehow.  Perhaps based on subject?

Truly, the real problem is auto-responders ignoring the precedence of
the incoming email.

That's a great idea.  I guess we could use the msg_header->Subject variable to get the subject in the Send scenario, then throw out anything with 'Out of office' or 'vacation mail' in the subject header.  This would solve a lot of the problem.  Thanks!

- Steve