en - Re: [sympa-users] Overcoming AD query limit

  • From: Thomas Berry <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: "Ward, Michael" <address@concealed>, sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Overcoming AD query limit
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:53:47 -0800

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the two level search work around this limit? By having dynamic LDAP entries on the LDAP server, the lists could be pointed at the dynamic "group" reading the entries from the uniqueMembers attribute. Then, the 2-level query would perform the necessary translations (to mail value) resulting in a single query for each entry--not one monolithic query.

Just a though--that's how we have LDAP integrated with Sympa.

Thomas

address@concealed wrote:
Ward, Michael wrote:

Hi,

Sympa 5.2.2 on RHEL 5.

I’ve set up a list using an ldap query to update the group members, however I’ve struck the following problem:

Nov 12 11:47:12 tur-lists1 wwsympa[14181]: List::_include_users_ldap() Ldap search failed : Sizelimit exceeded (searching on server dc.massey.ac.nz:389 ; suffix OU=Clients,DC=massey,DC=ac,DC=nz ; filter (&(mailnickname=*)(Description=Staff User)) ; attrs: mail)

I believe the query limit for our domain is 2,000. Is there currently any way to get around the ldap query limit?

I do have a number of other smaller lists already using ldap queries, so I know there’s nothing wrong with my current config.

Regards,
Michael Ward

There is no solution because this limit is a security limit comming from you LDAP server. May be it wouild dangerous to modify this limit. The only solution i can see is a dirty solution : use multiple include LDAP queries into your list configuration with deferent filters in a way each query retreive less than 2000 answers and all queries togother cover the original filter.

You may also dump periodically the LDAP category you are looking for on a file served by an httpd server. Then include this remote file from Sympa.

No one of thoses solutions is clean...
Serge