en - [sympa-users] VirtualHost chicken and egg problem

  • From: Troy Davis <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] VirtualHost chicken and egg problem
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:33:18 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to setup wwsympa on a server that already has a website running on it. The existing site parses all incoming URLs for that domain, so I can't setup wwsympa to run as a Location /sympa as documented.

Instead, I'd like to set it up as sympa.company.com. Here's the relevant section of httpd.conf:

PerlSwitches -I/var/www/myapp/lib
PerlModule myapp
PerlSetEnv HOSTNAME myapp.company.com
<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName myapp.company.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www/myapp/root
        SetEnv HOSTNAME myapp.company.com
        <Location />
                SetHandler modperl
                PerlResponseHandler myapp
        </Location>
</VirtualHost>

FastCgiWrapper /usr/sbin/suexec
FastCgiIpcDir /tmp/fastcgi
FastCgiServer /usr/local/sympa-stable/bin/wwsympa.fcgi -processes 3 -idle-timeout 120

<VirtualHost *:80>
        SuexecUserGroup sympa sympa
        ServerName sympa.company.com
        DocumentRoot /usr/local/sympa-stable/bin
        AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi
        ScriptAlias / /usr/local/sympa-stable/bin/wwsympa.fcgi
        <Location />
                AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
                SetHandler fastcgi-script
        </Location>
</VirtualHost>

With this configuration, I get the following in the httpd error log:

FastCGI: can't start server "/usr/local/sympa-stable/bin/wwsympa.fcgi" (pid 9288), chdir() failed: Permission denied

I think the problem is that the FastCGI* directives can't be inside the VirtualHost, so httpd attempts to start the fcgi as user apache. All sympa-related files are owned by sympa:sympa, so this obviously isn't going to work. How can I do name-based virtualhosts

This obviously won't work, does anyone else use a similar approach? If so, how did you get it to work?

Thank You,
Troy

  • [sympa-users] VirtualHost chicken and egg problem, Troy Davis, 04/30/2007