en - [sympa-users] Re: Re: Fix for blank language selector on FreeBSD

  • From: Olivier Girard <address@concealed>
  • To: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Re: Fix for blank language selector on FreeBSD
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:02:25 +0200

Olivier Salaün - CRU a écrit :
Hi Adam,

You're right, we've fixed this locale problems, by adopting the "pure perl" implementation of gettext. I think it fixes the FreeBSD problem. This fix concerns both 5.2.x and development branches.

You're welcome to add a related to the FAQ though : http://www.sympa.org/wiki/faq/internationalization_and_locales
I'd be worth mentionning which Sympa versions are concerned.

Thanks.

Adam Bernstein wrote:

I was actually just looking to add this to the Sympa FAQ, but with the new site I'm not seeing where or how to add items. We're installing Sympa on a new system and ran into this problem again, and I didn't immediately remember how to solve it, so I wanted to document it for myself and others:

With Sympa through at least 5.1.2, on FreeBSD through 6.2 with Perl through 5.8.8, the language selector will show blank entries until you remove the gettext_xs.pm Perl module. For us this meant moving out /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Locale.

I actually suspect this problem may be fixed by the Solaris-related patch I see in the release notes for 5.3a8:

"src/Language.pm: [reported by P.Maes, Univ. Louvain] localization failed on Solaris. The native Solaris gettext libraries failed to use the appropriate .mo file. We're now using the "Pure Perl" implementation of gettext"

because I think "pure perl" is the alternative to the XS version... whatever that is. So maybe this whole problem is going away soon, but I don't have the luxury of testing a later Sympa version right now.

.

I can confirm that the fix working on FreeBSD is using Pure Perl version of the gettext package. Please don't use the symlink.
In older version of sympa, some path or filnames where hardcoded in Lang.pm. If i'm right, this is corected from 5.1.2.

In my mail announcing release 5.2.2 integrated to FreeBSD Port tree, i was writing this:

--
Olivier Girard - U. Angers - CRI - Service Systèmes et Réseaux.