en - [sympa-users] Re: multi domain mailing list

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: Riccardo Veraldi <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: multi domain mailing list
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 03:51:37 -0500

Riccardo Veraldi wrote:
I wanted to ask how to manage multi domain mailing lists ?

I would like sympa to manage mailing lists also for other domains
and not only my domain.

Two aspects to it:

1. Sympa can handle multiple domains (see the documentation for "virtual robots")

2. The machine sympa runs on has to be an appropriately configured mail host for each domain you support (MX records, SPF records, and so forth). That's just mail handling 101 - you have to be able to receive mail for a domain you're serving, and you have to be able to originate mail for that domain. (Actually, you can always forge return addresses, but a lot of your mail will be intercepted by spam filters.)

What I do for several domains:

- set up our a separate machine name for list handling in that domain (e.g. for domain foo.org, use the name lists.foo.org)

- set up all the appropriate DNS records (MX, SPF, PTR) for lists.foo.org, to point to the machine running sympa (note: this pre-supposes cooperation of whomever manages nameservice for the domain, as well as whomever manages PTR records for your IP address)

- set up your machine's MTA configuration files to receive and send mail for lists.foo.org

- set up a virtual robot in Sympa to handle lists for lists.foo.org, along with the necessary aliases

- set up your lists

and away you go.

Miles Fidelman