en - [sympa-users] Re: Re: distribution date stamp

  • From: Thomas Berry <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Re: distribution date stamp
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:27:46 -0800

address@concealed wrote:
Thomas Berry wrote:

Apparently, Sympa 5.2.3 only allows the removal of headers as a server-wide list setting, not for individual mailing lists.

True. It would be easy to add this parameter in list config with a default inherited from sympa.conf but isn't it to much for list owners ?
But, it does appear that removing the Date header has the desired affect--the message's date header is changed to the time of distribution (Note: the archived message will still reflect the original Date: stamp).
Ok, that's normal because sendmail add a Date if ths header is missing so the effet is the one you describe.

Usually, the concern with distributed messages is where the message appears in the summary of the recipient's e-mail client. Moderated messages may have been sent hours or days before the time of approval and distribution.

I believe most email clients are configured to display a summary of the most recently dated messages. Unfortunately, this doesn't reflect which messages were most recently received. Someone who receives a lot of email may not notice the newly distributed email because of the date it was originally sent to the list.

Maybe leaving the date unchanged is a common behavior for most mailing lists, but we've been using Lyris list manager for almost 9 years and most list admins have chosen to change the date to the time of distribution. For this reason, I think it is safe for us to roll out Sympa with all lists set to change the date using the method provided.

Yes, headers are unchanged in archive. I checked the code and verify that message is archived before headers are removed. I can't figure if this is a feature aor a bug. It may be very important to archive message in a unchanged format.

I agree. The archived message date should remain unchanged. Preserving the original message is important.

If you want to change it, it is very easy to do it : edit List.pm search for the following code and move the red part after the green one. Message archived will be transformed but they will not include a date if date is removed .

## Archives
my $msgtostore = $message->{'msg'};
if (($message->{'smime_crypted'} eq 'smime_crypted') &&
($self->{admin}{archive_crypted_msg} eq 'original')) {
$msgtostore = $message->{'orig_msg'};
}
$self->archive_msg($msgtostore);
## Change the reply-to header if necessary.
if ($self->{'admin'}{'reply_to_header'}) {
}
## Remove unwanted headers if present.
if ($Conf{'remove_headers'}) {
foreach my $field (@{$Conf{'remove_headers'}}) {
$hdr->delete($field);
}
}

Thomas Berry wrote:
Is there a way to configure a list to replace the Date header from the time
the
message was sent (from the e-mail client) to the time the message was first
distributed?

Would this be done by setting a list to remove the Date header?