en - Re: [sympa-users] Integrating sympa with other applications

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: Chris Hastie <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Integrating sympa with other applications
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 08:22:46 +0100

Chris Hastie wrote:

Hi

I should start by confessing that I'm still using version 4.1!

I need to integrate a sympa list with another web application and wonder what
the best (aka least work) way to do this is.

I had hoped to simply include subscription details from the other apps user
db,
which is MySQL. I also aimed to allow signing in to the other app to give
access to the sympa archives for the list. On the face of it, it all seemed
straightforward. Until I actually tried to do it.

I have the other app setting a 'sympauser' cookie with out to much difficulty
(I
don't seem to be able to delete it on log out though - seems connected to
sympa
and the other app being on different subdomains).

I planned to use an include2 and include_sql_query, which I have successfully
done elsewhere.

The first big problem is that users who are included don't seem to have access
to the archives. Indeed, wwwsympa complains they are not subscribed to
anything. Is this something that I can change with a scenario?

That's a configuration problem or may be a bug from version 4.1 . Make sure you are using "user_data_source include2" in the list configuration (section data sources).

Second issue is that I need to be able to set the reception mode in the other
apps db, and have this seen by sympa. As far as I can see, the query returned
by include_sql_query must contain email addresses only. Is there any way to
get
sympa to use a remote db to populate the reception_subscriber field in the
subscriber_table? I was hoping that by ensuring my query returned fields with
names sympa recongnised, it would use that data, but that doesn't appear to be
the case.

Write. Currently not available, but remember that included users are included using the default subscription option. The default default subscription option is "mail" but it can be changed in the list config (parameter Subscription profile (default_user_options) in section sending/reception). may this can help.

The way we could solve this could be to add an optional parameter in each include source that define the subscription option applied for subscribers from this source. The only question to solve is "what to do if some one is to be added to the list from 2 different sources with 2 different reception options ?
Not really a problem.

At the end I guess that it should be better for you to use a Sympa service API in order to add or delete users from a list, this will be possible with SOAP interface as soon as Sympa is released.