en - [sympa-users] connecting Sympa to anti-spam/anti-virus software

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] connecting Sympa to anti-spam/anti-virus software
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 07:14:56 -0500

Hi Folks,

I was just fine-tuning some of my anti-virus/spam software and realized that my setup runs both the original message that goes to Sympa, and then each message that Sympa hands to the mail system.
This is a result of the fairly standard setup I'm using, and it seems less than optimal. I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on a better setup.

Basic Setup:
Linux (Debian)
Postfix
amavisd-new
spamassassin
clamAV

Every message is scanned on it's way into to the system, before being passed on for delivery. So... every message that gets to Sympa is either clean, or marked as possible Spam (low score) - and I have a scenari defined to bounce possible Spam to list owners. I don't use the Sympa settings to scan messages, because they've already been scanned.
The result of this, though is that Sympa generates lots of messages, and then forwards them to Postfix, which then feeds them through the entire scanning process.
Seems like a large waste of resources. Can anybody suggest a better approach? (Of course that then leads to the question of how to deal with messages that are submitted via the web interface).

Thanks,

Miles