en - Re: [sympa-users] Redundancy

  • From: Johann Spies <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Redundancy
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:24:36 +0200

Hallo Sylvain,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 10:47:21AM +0200, Sylvain Amrani wrote:

> I did the same few months ago without any trouble. We have now 2
> servers in a heartbeat configuration, with a virtual IP address shared
> by both. Now I run sympa upgrades on the spare and then swap the
> active server to upgrade the second one.

Thanks. I know about heartbeat but for some reason did not think of it
in this context. I will certainly look to implement it.

> The spools, configuration and expl/ are sync'ed from master to spare and
> I will put these files on a DRBD volume in a near future. The spare act
> as slave in a MySQL replication.

I still have to find the correct tool to replicate the
postgresql-tables.

> For the ease of administration, the spare will never become a master,
> just an active server. During this time, users can't administrate their
> lists (they get an apologies page as they try to authenticate via SSO),
> and there is no task_manager daemon on this server. This way, I don't
> have to re-sync expl/ on failover takeback.

How do you configure the setup on the second server to disallow the
administration of the lists? Is removing the task_manager daemon
enough?

> These difficulties will disappear as soon as DRBD is configured. Of
> course you can use a SAN or an NFS share. Anyone using that on this list ?

Unfortunately DRBD is not an option for me as the as both the master and
slave sympa servers are active mailservers at the same time which and
the postgresql-database is also used by exim. Is thus not just a case
of duplicating a block device.

Anyhow you have opened my eyes for some options I did not consider.
Thanks for that.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

" ...Take heed, and beware of covetousness; for a man's
life consisteth not in the abundance of the things
which he possesseth." Luke 12:15