en - [sympa-users] trying to get wwsympa_sudo_wrapper.pl running

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] trying to get wwsympa_sudo_wrapper.pl running
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:45:10 -0400

Hello Folks,

I've been trying to get a new installation up and running, and running into no end of troubles getting wwwsympa to execute.

On my old system, I finally gave up on trying to get suexec and fcgi to play nicely together on a virtual server. I finally set up a completely separate copy of Apache just for sympa.

It's not as easy on Debian - there's no easy way to set up separate Apache's short of compiling from source. So I'm trying a virtual server again.

Again... getting suexec and fcgi to play nicely is proving difficult.

At least temporarily, I'm trying the sudo approach, but also running into problems.

I think I've installed everything per the instructions, but...

First time through, I got a "premature end of script error" - turns out that I should have looked more carefully at the instructions, which say to put:
apache ALL = (sympa) NOPASSWD: /home/sympa/bin/wwsympa.fcgi
into /etc/sudoers

Turns out that should be:
www-data ALL = (sympa) NOPASSWD: /home/sympa/bin/wwsympa.fcgi
(Debian installs Apache under user:group www-data)

Then I started getting a little further. Still a "premature end of headers error" - until I:
/home/sympa/bin/wwsympa_sudo_wrapper.pl
chmod u+s /home/sympa/bin /wwsympa_sudo_wrapper.pl

Now I'm getting:
Insecure $ENV{PATH} while running setuid at /home/sympa/bin/wwsympa_sudo_wrapper.pl line 3
followed by "premature end of headers."

This seems to be coming from Perl's taint checks - and I'm now a bit out of my depth.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman