en - [sympa-users] bug somewhere in digest sending...?

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] bug somewhere in digest sending...?
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:07:34 -0700

Sympa team --

We're currently trying to nail down a bug that recently began causing our sympa.pl process to quietly stop processing anything until it's restarted. Before I file a bug report, I'm trying to understand better what's happening, and we have a few clues but not the whole picture.

One question that will help me figure it out is: When a digest is sent to a list, is sympa.pl supposed to fork a new process? When our system stops working, we're seeing extra sympa.pl processes running, started at the time that the digest was sent to a certain list. I'm wondering if the process shouldn't have started at all or if it should have started and then terminated. We're currently running Sympa 5.1.2 with the default process profile, ie. one process for both commands and messages.

To describe the problem somewhat more fully: There seems to be a problem related to sending digests, usually (but not always) on one particular list, which leaves one or two extra sympa.pl processes running, although the digest is sent to all the proper subscribers and the "Digest sent" message is logged. The system then continues working properly, processing commands and messages, until some point hours later when sympa.pl stops processing anything. We then sometimes find a mhonarc process running and hung, with no corresponding "Archiving..." log entry (which is weird because that logging should happen before the call to mail2arc in archived.pl), or else we find that the last logged action was a moderator giving the "distribute" command on a moderated list, which does not get processed until after a process restart. We kill everything and restart sympa, and then all is well.

There may be patterns in the lists that are involved, especially in the initial error condition that leaves multiple sympa.pl processes running. In the small sample of incidents we've tracked, it's usually a certain list, list1@robot1, whose digest led to the hung process, but once it was list2@robot1. There is nothing wrong with the configuration of either list or this robot, no recent changes that could account for bad behavior, and their digests work fine on some days.

Does this (very long) problem description bring anything to mind? Should we try running with separate processes for commands and messages? I would certainly appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
adam