en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa Lists and Spam

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa Lists and Spam
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:17:46 -0700

List owners, understandably, don't like it when spam makes it to their list, even if their users are eventually filtering it out. While I could set up a bunch of scenarios for filtering different levels of spam with something like (to block 50% or higher):

We just drop (non-deliver) any message that's marked over our threshhold for spam; we use SpamAssassin, so it goes by total points (our threshhold is at 6 points), rather than percentage. But our history of spam marking is extremely good, both in positives and negatives, and we figure we'd much rather have the rare non-delivery of a real message someone's posted than have any spam getting through to lists. The few times someone's real message has gotten dropped, they've eventually written for support and we've helped them figure out why it was tagged, and made the proper adjustment either at our end or theirs. It doesn't hurt to be educating people about spamminess anyway, since if they got tagged by us they're likely to get tagged by various list recipients' filters too, and this education improves their ultimate deliverability.

ab