en - Re: [sympa-users] Using sympa for one-time use special demographic lists...

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: Olivier Sala?n - CRU <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Using sympa for one-time use special demographic lists...
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:13:08 -0500 (EST)

Olivier,

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful response to my
question about one-time use lists. This is all very
helpful. In your scenario about a possible future one-time
use list mechanism being added to Sympa, you wrote:

A one-time list is created to send a single message and is then
removed ... Once it has been created (and tagged as one-time) we
need to trigger its removal.

With a 'normal' discussion list, a typical subscriber
posting to the list normally does not see the non-delivery
messages that are generated because of stale subscriber
addresses. This is a good thing (tm) since the average
poster is not in a position to, nor is responsible for,
cleaning up a list's subscriber entries, so s/he certainly
shouldn't be receiving such messages. That's the list
owner's responsibility.

However with our one-time use lists, we make the poster the
temporary owner of the list. We do this for two reasons.
One is for security, since we want to tightly control
posting rights and ListProc has a 'post-by-owner-only'
feature. But the second is that we actually *want* the
poster to see all the bounces. If nothing else it helps to
bring home the idea that when a posting is being made to
10,000 people, not all of those people will necessarily see
that posting, for many reasons beyond our control.

In the automatically disappearing list scenario you describe
above, I would normally expect all of the information about
the list to evaporate. But I think it would be a good idea
to still have some way of associating the original poster to
the list for some window of time, so that things like
bounces or replies can still be directed back to the poster
as appropriate.

Again, thanks for timely and thoughtful reply. I'm
confident that we should have no problems using Sympa for
our 'mass mailing' needs.

...BC

--
| Bill Costa | No good
| 1 Leavitt Lane Voice: | deed...
| CIS/Telecom -- 2nd Floor +1-603-862-3056 |
| University of New Hampshire | Goes
| Durham, NH 03824 USA | unpunished.
+---------------[ http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/ ]--+

  • Re: [sympa-users] Using sympa for one-time use special demographic lists..., Bill . Costa, 01/03/2006