en - Re: [sympa-users] reducing number of autoresponders sent by sympa

  • From: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • To: Patrick von der Hagen <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] reducing number of autoresponders sent by sympa
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:02:33 +0100

Patrick von der Hagen wrote:

We still run listserv, but I'm evaluating alternatives. If sympa had better bounce-processing (e.g. VERP) it would probably place first, but since a large percentage of my users heavily use forwards, the bounces usually won't contain the adress subscribed to sympa and therefore sympa-bounce-processing currently is quite insufficient...

VERP is a important issue for Sympa project. We will introduce verp asap. Some users allready play with some MTA option parameters to do it but for sure, some development are needed. Check sympa-dev archive, thre is a thread about VERP : http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/arc/sympa-dev/2005-11/msg00003.html

VERP on Sympa work is starting now.

However, I try to imagine the best way possible to handle the problem.
I hope to reduce this problem by moving the step of "send a bounce after processing by mailinglist-software" forward in the processing-chain, so that before accepting a message, the MTA verifies if the mailinglist-software would cause a bounce to be sent and in that case reject the mail.

I agree that rejecting a message during the incomming SMTP session is much more better then accept the message and create a bounce later. The way Sympa accept or reject message is not simple and do not depend on sender identity but also on any part of the message. This is done with Sympa authorization scenario. Rules can be quite complex and use any message property. So the best way to reject message during the incomming SMTP session is to developt a MILTER interface to scenario so sendmail could ask Sympa is the message is to be accepted or rejected during the smtp session. Good idea : we will support thoses who start such contribution :-)

Integration with sendmail, postfix or exim should be quite easy, considering the interfaces provided by those MTAs.

Interface with sendmail is easy with Milter buit postfix does not provide milter.

What do others expect in the short or in the middle term? Do you experience spamcop-problems due to autoresponders now or do you expect to face them? Do you expect problems due to SPF, SRS, Domainkeys etc.? Personally, I deeply distrust SPF and SRS, but feat that they might gain further support.

SPF is nice idea with a major problem : not compatible with forwarder (forwarders transmit message without rewritting headers). SRS or a alternative solution named "Responsible Submitter" tries to solve this problem but they is a very strong issue the choosen solution must be deployed everywhere before SPF can be really in use. Anyhow SPF is not a probleme for mailing list because mailing list are not forwarders but remailers (remailers rewrite headers). SPF can also be a opportunity for mailing list : Sympa can use SPS status in order to decide what to do with a message. This can be done just now if your MX add some headers to incomming message based on SPF (this can be done with some MILTER for example). ; Sympa can use thoses headers in the authorization scenario.

DKIM (DK is dead) is much more interesting because it is not a verification of the message origine but a message signature. DKIM require a lot of work for any "remailer", mainly mailing list software (MLM).
-1- MLM must not alter existing DKIM signature : currently Sympa is not ready for it because it can remove or modify some headers that are part of the signature. It can also add a message header or footer that will alter the signature but Sympa already include some internal feature in order to preserve S/MIME signature and then, we need to extend it for DKIM.
-2- In some cases MLM should add thre own DKIM signature to message to prove the origin of the message.
-3- MLM must use DKIM signature as sender authentication to prevent unusefull confirmation request. Sympa allready do it for S/MIME signed message. We need to extend it in order to use DKIM signature as well.

Personally, i think DKIM is the biggest evolution in message service since MIME was introduced.

Serge Aumont