en - [sympa-users] urlize and Outlook

  • From: Michael Redinger <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] urlize and Outlook
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:40:00 +0200

Hi,

we are having some problems with the "urlize" reception mode and Outlook:
Outlook does not display the added attachment correctly (which is a text
file that says that the attachment was removed).
[Outlook + IMAP Mail Server] shows that there is an attachment. If you
double click on the attachment, it is displayed using a text editor.
However, it is not displayed inline.
[Outlook + Exchange server] does not even get the MIME type right. The
symbol for an unknown mime type is displayed, and when you click on it,
you have to select the proper application (you would have to know that
it is a text file, even if it is named eg. _pps because the original
attachment was a PPS file).

The mime header of the "attachment" (the message that the attachment was
removed) looks ok.
I am not sure what the solution is. I found a note that says that says
that Content-Disposition and filename should not be used together:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323482
So maybe filename should not be used?
Another solution might be to actually name the attachment ".txt".
Both changes seem to make sense for me.

On a related note:
When the user (using a "proper" mail client ;-) ) selects the link to
the extracted attachment, the browser opens the Sympa Webpage. However,
if the user is not logged in, he gets the message that the operation is
not permitted. When he logs in, he gets to the main page. So you have to
click on the link, login, and then click on the link again to actually
see the attachment.
This is very confusing for "normal" users. After logging in, the user
should see the attachment.
(This problem might be true for other situations too: If a user does not
have the necessary privileges because he is not logged in, bring him to
that page after logging in.)
(Has anybody filed a similar feature request? Otherwise I will add a new
one.)

Greetings,
Michael

- --
Michael Redinger
Zentraler Informatikdienst (Central IT Services)
Universitaet Innsbruck
Technikerstrasse 13 Tel.: ++43 512 507 2335
6020 Innsbruck Fax.: ++43 512 507 2944
Austria Mail: address@concealed
BB98 D2FE 0F2C 2658 3780 3CB1 0FD7 A9D9 65C2 C11D
http://www.uibk.ac.at/~c102mr/mred-pubkey.asc