en - Re: [sympa-users] moderating problem

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: GSLT Systems Administrator <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] moderating problem
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:27:04 -0700

> i have several different lists with unique users in each and an alias
> that email all of them. now i want all these lists to accept email
> without bothering moderators iff it originated from any member in any
> of the lists.
>
> can this be done in sympa? and how?

You can create a new custom "send.your-custom-scenario-name" scenario
file in etc/scenari, containing an is_subscriber line for each of the
lists that you want checked:

is_editor(list1,[sender]) smtp,smime,md5 -> do_it
is_editor(list2,[sender]) smtp,smime,md5 -> do_it
etc...

and set the "send" parameter for each list to that setting.

> another problem, the alias, is used by a administrator to email all
> the lists but she fakes the sender address to become a functional
> address, address@concealed. because this is our public address we do
> not want it to go through without moderation (it's likely spammers use
> it as a from-address as well :( ). now this genereates alot of
> moderation messages, i figure i can tell her to add som X-header that
> then will be recognised by our sympa lists and let it through without
> moderation. but how to configure sympa?

Well, this brings up a problem with the first plan above, since that's
going to let any message sent "From:" any address on any of your lists
go through without moderation, which will probably include some
spam/virus messages too. But anyway, what we've done for one list is to
make up a fake random From: address that's not guessable, like
address@concealed, and set that as the moderator address and
have them send From: it. Then we use the "Anonymous sender" setting in
Sympa to conceal that sender address with a normal one like info@ (which
is not allowed to post), so that users (and viruses) never see the real
moderator address and can't copy it. Maybe some really lucky spammer
will happen to guess it some day, but probably not.

But our case was on a newsletter where subscribers never post. On a
discussion group where subscribers can post, you may not want to replace
the sender's identity on every message with info@, so it might not be a
good solution for you.

ab