en - Re: [sympa-users] sympa question: sympa and qmail

  • From: Malcolm-Rannirl <address@concealed>
  • To: Yonni Edelist <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] sympa question: sympa and qmail
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:27:09 -0400

On Sunday 20 June 2004 11:34 am, Yonni Edelist wrote:

I found this in my mail pile, it's a bit old but the question seems to come
up
a few times.

> i'm installing sympa and trying to get it to work with qmail, and i came by
> your posts at address@concealed
> i was wondering (if and) how you managed to set up sympa and qmail (i
> couldn't find anything in the list's archives...)

Setting up sympa with qmail isn't that complex. The main thing is mapping the
aliases. If you are adding lists by hand it's easy enough to do. If you want
to have lists added automatically you need to edit a few scripts. It's more
complex if you are running multiple domains.

The simple form is just to translate the aliases.

For each mailing list, sympa gives a set of sendmail/postfix format aliases
that look something like:

listname-subscribe: "| /home/sympa/bin/queue listname-subscribe@domain"

the qmail equivalent is to create a file:
~aliases/.qmail-listname-subscribe
with the content:
| /home/sympa/bin/queue listname-subscribe@domain

If you are running qmail virtual domains, you can set qmail up to deliver to
particular user for each domain, and the aliases are stored in
~user/.qmail-listname-etc. That is more complex to set up, but lets you have
locations that sympa can write to (having sympa write to ~aliases in order to
install aliases automatically is something I didn't do due to security
considerations).

I used to have an alias_manager script that worked for qmail, but I've
shifted
to postfix on the server I manage sympa for, and can't find it now.

I hope that helps someone.

  • Re: [sympa-users] sympa question: sympa and qmail, Malcolm-Rannirl, 08/31/2004