en - RE: [sympa-users] Silent rejection

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Silent rejection
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:31:41 -0800

> I wouldn't normally want to do this, but I'm trying to harden a Sympa
> installation against loops, having once had an MLM enter into a "I can
> send more than you can" argument with a badly configured out-of-office
> auto reply.

There may be other reasons to want a silent reject, but if you
just want to avoid command loops, see the relevant sympa.conf
parameters -- I'm using:

loop_command_max 10
loop_command_sampling_delay 1800

meaning 10 commands within 1/2 hour (1800 seconds) from the same
user cause Sympa to break the loop. That's a much lower threshhold
than the default in Sympa, but I've seen various delays cause a
delay of a few minutes in each iteration of a loop, so I wanted to
allow a generous time, and it's really hard to imagine anyone ever
sending 10 valid commands in a row.

Also, FYI, I've changed Sympa's list message precedence header from
"list" to "bulk", as more mail servers (read: MS Exchange 5.5) will
recognize that as not deserving a vacation auto-reply. This applies
only to list messages, not commands, though come to think of it, I
could change the precedence header on commands too and avoid most of
the need for the loop_command parameters above....

ab