en - Re: [sympa-users] trigger event outside sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaun - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: GSLT Systems Administrator <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] trigger event outside sympa
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:54:01 +0100

Hi Robert,

I can think of 3 ways you could possibly perform an action triggered by moderation decisions, among them only one (number 1) is currently feasible :

1/ archived.pl, the web archiving daemon gets the messages from the "outgoing" spool. It was named this way because we though it could be used for any other outgoing processing. You could easily change the archived.pl to perform other actions. The drawback of this solution is that you can't trigger anything on message rejection.
2/ The generic solution : scenario files could recognize an execute()/plugin() action that would allow you to execute home-made code at rejection time.
3/ The "web services" solution : next release of Sympa will include a SOAP server that provides access to ML services from within a program. We could add two reject() and distribute() functions. This way you could do all the moderation job outside Sympa and use Sympa SOAP service to reject/distribute messages.

GSLT Systems Administrator wrote:

We have been using your most excellent mailing list manager sympa for
over almost one year now and now we want more. :)

The problem in short --we want to have a moderated list (on a virtual
domain) where when a moderator accepts/rejects an incoming email it
will trigger some event in addition to the ones in sympa, eg execute
arbitrary program.

A Somewhat longer description --we are running a site where any user
is able too submit a news item via a web page. Before actually
submitting the news item we want it to be moderated by at least on of
our editors and they want to use email for doing so. So my idea is to
use sympa, letting the news item be sent to a moderated mailing list
(all members on this list are also moderators). When a moderator
accepts a news item it will not only archive the email with mhonarc,
but also trigger something so it will be publish on the web (rss, html
etc).

So what I need to know, is there something in sympa to trigger 3rd
party programs when accepting/rejecting messages easily? If no, where
should I look, in the archive.pl programme? Maybe even someone is
using sympa in this way?

Been browsing your docs and faqs. Searched the archives of this list.
But I could not find anything.

--
Olivier Salaun
Comite Reseau des Universites

  • trigger event outside sympa, GSLT Systems Administrator, 12/22/2003
    • Re: [sympa-users] trigger event outside sympa, Olivier Salaun - CRU, 12/23/2003