en - Re: [sympa-users] how does sympa encrypt passwords?

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Tanel Kindsigo <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] how does sympa encrypt passwords?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:55:47 +0100

Tanel Kindsigo wrote:

I'd like to authenticate against sympa users' passwords (from database) in some self-made php pages, so people would not have to remember several passwords for both sympa and my own php pages.
well as I see, Sympa passwords are encrypted inside database, but I couldn't fint a way how Sympa did it. I'd like to encrypt the same way and compare the result with the entry in the database.
Has anyone done that with PHP?

Sympa use cipherSaber wich is based on RC4. perl module is avalible at http://search.cpan.org/~chromatic/Crypt-CipherSaber-0.61/lib/Crypt/CipherSaber.pm but have a look at the FAQ about this encryption algorithm http://ciphersaber.gurus.com./

If you need to desable password encryption by sympa, it is possible to to do just removing the related perl module from your machine. Of course you will need first to decrypt each password in sympa database.

Serge Aumont