en - Re: [sympa-users] wwsympa memory usage

  • From: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • To: Elijah Saxon <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] wwsympa memory usage
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:07:18 -0700 (PDT)

hi

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Elijah Saxon wrote:

> - is anyone running a box with over 5000 lists? how?

I have about 3,000 - same problem, i.e. both sympa process and wwsympa is
growing day by day.

> - do wwsympa.fcgi processes share memory? could they?

they can't now, but they really should

> - what do people think about simply making swap really really big? does

That won't help much if any of the processes could be used at any time and
if you don't have enough memory to run both of them.
Swapping degrades the performance to the point of no avail.

> - what can be done to improve wwsympa performance? (other than increasing
> the number of processing or buying faster and dedicated hardware). i have
> found that once over 1000 lists, a file system with b-tree directory
> storage, like reiserfs, is a must.

Not really, directory caching helps a lot, so it will depend on OS you're
running as well.
The major performance improvement would be sharing the memory cache between
processes (including main sympa process) and having a separate process
updating that cache via some kind of API preferably not only on the same
machine, but also remotely.
Right now I have to live with a single wwsympa process since if I start even
2 of them, I run out of memory in a day or earlier.
Also, initial start-up delay is enormous (when sympa is parsing all those
config files) and it's a dual-CPU system with a gig of RAM...

--
rgds,
serge