en - Re: [sympa-users] performance bottlenecks?

  • From: Sergiy Zhuk <address@concealed>
  • To: elijah <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] performance bottlenecks?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 15:03:25 -0800 (PST)

hi

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, elijah wrote:

> As load on sympa increases, what factors limit performance the most? Do

I'll be mostly talking about sympa 3.3.x, since some of the issues maybe
fixed already.
CPU/RAM is an issue because of list config caching.
Incoming mail processing is an issue if you stop sympa even for a short
period of time on a high trafficed site.
Backlog processing usually takes a lot of time since it's done by a single
sympa process.
Web server is an issue too, especially if user runs mhonarc search via sympa
GUI.
Also, every web process will have a full cache of all lists, which is a
huge amount of memory (hundreds of Mb) if you have several thousand lists.
It takes a lot of time to fill that cache when the process starts.

> ram. My impulse would be to first put wwsympa on its own machine with
> lots of ram and a fast processor and put everything else (including
> sql and disk storage) on another box.

Only if you share configs and archives via NFS.
Otherwise wwsympa can't leave on a separate machine.

> One person in the FAQ entry on clustering sympa suggests offloading
> outgoing SMTP to another machine.

This is definitely worth it since you will cut back the IO, RAM and CPU
usage on the machine, where sympa is running.

--
rgds,
serge