en - RE: [sympa-users] FastCgi respawning

  • From: "Adam Bernstein" <address@concealed>
  • To: "Alexander Brill" <address@concealed>, "Sympa Users" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] FastCgi respawning
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:56:40 -0800

> I'm trying to install Sympa, but I'm having problems with the Apache
> setup.
> It seems that the FastCgi process just starts and dies all the time.

Are you running an Apache virtual host with the sympa.sympa user ID, with
the default Apache host running with some other ID (nobody, www, etc.)?
If so, there are some steps the docs leave out, such as rebuilding suexec
with the specific location of your wwsympa.fcgi script and removing the
script's suid bit. I've been meaning to make a nice little document, but
so far all I have is these rough notes. Perhaps you'll be able to decipher
them for your own use; if not, feel free to write with questions.

-build FastCGI as module & install
-rebuild suexec (only) with necessary flags (by editing
apache/src/support/suexec_include.h and providing options to ./configure) &
install
eg: ./configure --prefix=/var/www --enable-suexec --suexec-userdir=bin
-add "FastCgiWrapper /usr/sbin/suexec" to httpd.conf (needed if FastCGI is a
module)
--->get "invalid suexec wrapper":
-chmod 4711 on suexec
--->get the dreaded 5-second restarts of wwsympa with "exit with status '2'":
-chmod -s on wwsympa.fcgi
-copy ~sympa/sample/topics.conf to ~sympa/etc

This applies at least when building from Sympa sources on FreeBSD or Linux.

adam