en - RE: [sympa-users] First time login

  • From: "John Kirkland" <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] First time login
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:05:13 -0600

Conan,

I'm no expert, but I have recently been through the same set of tasks that
you are about to face.

First, click on "Send me a password" list near the bottom of the wwsympa
home page. It will ask you for your email address. You should enter the
email address that you specified for listmaster in your sympa.conf file. It
will create an account for you and email you the password. This gets you
past the first hurdle.

You'll also need to setup your topics.conf in the ~sympa/etc dir to create a
mailing list. There is a sample one in the samples directory. I just
copied it as-is into the ~sympa/etc dir until I figured out how to use
topics properly.

Once you've done these things, you can create lists from the wwsympa
interface. You still need to manually add mail aliases for each list you
wish to create. I add the following to /etc/aliases (actually, I put them
in /etc/sympa.aliases, but you would have to reconfig sendmail to put them
there):

test: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue test"
test-request: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue test-request"
test-editor: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue test-editor"
test-owner: "|/home/sympa/bin/bouncequeue test
test-subscribe: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue test-subscribe"
test-unsubscribe: "|/home/sympa/bin/queue test-unsubscribe"

Obviously, you replace the word "test" with the name of the actual list.
Also, don't forget to run newaliases as root to load the aliases into
sendmail.

This should get you down the road a bit in your quest to use Sympa. I set
it up last week, and I am very pleased with it myself!

Regards,
John Kirkland